Sunday, December 10, 2017

People's Behavior at Expos

Maybe it's me... maybe I was raised differently. 

We had an expo the other day, and the second we were a few feet away from the booth and had our backs turned... we turned to look back at the booth, and had two people, elbow deep, in our guinea pig cage, trying to pet the guinea pig (who was, naturally, doing laps around the cage to get away).

Wait, what?  Did that just really happen?

Again, maybe it's just me... but I was not taught to randomly open other people's cages.  I was not taught to pet without asking.  I was taught to ask -- and in this instance, where we may have not been readily visible to ask -- I would have NOT TOUCHED ANYTHING.

I clearly remember my parents telling me, time and time again, before we'd go somewhere that they KNEW I'd want to touch something, "Now, remember, don't touch."  Words of wisdom.  I knew not to touch.  This isn't a bad thing, either.  Kids touch all sorts of things that they shouldn't.

Best part, these weren't even little kids, these were like teenagers.  Don't even get me started on how the newer generations think that they can do whatever they want.

This REALLY had my blood boiling, if you hadn't noticed.  My mom made the suggestion to lock the cages, but that wouldn't have even helped, as this person had lifted the wire off the cage base.  I mean, really? 

And don't get me wrong, it's NOT that I don't want people petting our animals.  Ask, and you shall receive.  I may or may not get a chinchilla out at an expo if it's a rescue that's acting stressed, but other animals usually come out, and of course, here, you're welcome to pet whatever is available.

But... for all they knew, I could have brought an attack guinea pig.  It could have been the rabbit from Monty Python, for all they knew.  It could have had contagious diseases for all they knew.  It could have had fungus which could have transferred to them.  Did they ask?  No.  Did they care?   Probably not.  Did they even think about any of that?  Probably not.  No, they saw no one around and thought, "I can open that cage and pet that animal."  How ridiculous that it's come to literally having to baby-sit people at these expos.

All I ask is that you ASK if you want to pet an animal.  Do not just reach in and do it.  Even if all is well -- maybe that animal doesn't want to be petted, and we know that.  So, please ask, and you will learn.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment