Thursday, May 9, 2019

Lists of What People Want

I repeat this all the time, so I may have talked with you all about this before, but just in case...

We don't keep lists of what people are looking for.  If you want a chin, let's say a specific color, and you want it now, I may be able to work with another breeder to get it.  That's sort of the exception.

But for those who are like, "hey, let me know when you get rats in" and that sort of thing... we don't keep a list.  Let me explain why... because I have kept a list in the past.  And in the past, when I kept the list, and then would message / call / reach out to the person and be like, "hey, so this is so and so, we have in rats at the rescue, you had mentioned you were looking for rats..." -- the answer was always, "oh!  Thanks for letting us know, but we already got some.  Thanks though!" 

Every.  Single.  Time.

Like no joke, without fail.  Once, it was as quick as like a two-day turnaround, where I told the person I thought I was getting in guinea pigs, and they were super excited, and this was actually going to be a transfer from another rescue, so they would be available once they got here.  The person said they would wait.  So I contact them, early on the second day, to tell them, we got in these guinea pigs, all young ones, cool colors, both sexes, yadda yadda.  Oh, they'd already gone and gotten one... and here's the kicker... right after they got off the phone with me (and yes, that means, right after they told me they'd wait to hear from me).

So no, we do not have lists of people waiting for animals.  Simply because there's no point. 

This all came up because I received an email from someone who wanted me to share with them some potential leads for homes for animals they have.  I don't have em to share, unfortunately... I told this person, I'm happy to take in the pets, if desired, but I don't have contacts to hand out.  It would be nice if people really did get on a list and stay on the list and wait... but since people don't... this is how it is at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment