Saturday, June 22, 2019

Ability to Travel to Hammond to Adopt

If you have filled out a recent adoption form, you have seen that we have added some questions.  In the last year sometime, we added to all of our adoption forms questions regarding which animal the person is interested in, but more importantly -- whether or not they can travel to Hammond to adopt.

The question basically states, we are in Hammond, Indiana, we do not ship. The people have the option to select that they ARE able to travel to Hammond to adopt, or that they ARE NOT able to travel to Hammond to adopt (and for that option, it specifies that because of this, they will be unlikely able to adopt). 

Now, whatever they select is fine.  The reason the option is there is two-fold. 

First, it's there so people from far away have to see our location and acknowledge it.  Despite the fact that all our ads say that we DO NOT ship, and our shipping page has, right up top, that we ARE NOT CURRENTLY SHIPPING, I routinely still get inquiries about shipping chins.  So, having this near the top of the adoption form makes it so that people that get this far actually get to see where we are, and get to mark whether or not they are able to come out this way.  This has actually eliminated a lot of farther-away-out-of-state people from submitting an adoption form.

Second, it's there so that, regardless of location, I can see someone's ability to come here.  We've had people from Chicago this year that find this "too far"... we also had a visitor from North Dakota back in February.  Without this, I would have messaged the ND person and asked, they do realize we're in Indiana?  But I didn't have to, because they marked that they were able to come here, and they did.  And for closer people, it lets me know who is NOT able to make it out this way.

One thing that does have me scratching my head though.  When I receive an adoption form that specifies that someone is not able to travel here to adopt, I review their adoption form and I respond in the same way that I would regardless of location... the only real difference is, I add a paragraph that basically says, ok I know they said they can't travel here to adopt... can they travel at all to adopt though?  Like, ok, it's a 6 hour drive.  Can they drive 2 hours?  Or are they wanting the chin to arrive on their doorstep?  /The reason I ask is because some of these people are vaguely in the directions that we might go, and I could bring a chinchilla with me when going wherever that is... but they would still need to drive to get there.  Now, is it a possibility that, depending on distance, I might be able to drive it to them?  Possibly... just depends.  But I send the email asking about can they drive at all to pick up, to both gauge interest and see how far they can manage to get for the chinchilla.  If they were to say, they can't drive at all, ok, then I know where we all stand.  I suppose it may not surprise you to know that I have not yet once heard back from any of these emails.  Maybe these people expect the email to be, "oh you can't travel here?  Let me have my private chin-transport take the chin you desire to your doorstep, completely free of charge, on me, at any time / day you want!" but realistically, that's not how it works.... the people have to email me back first, and then depending on circumstances / distance, we go from there....

No comments:

Post a Comment