We always have on the website, a list of the available chins. If you want to get really specific, there's a list of currently available chins, then a list of chins under evaluation (to be available soon), and then a list of critters on hold.
As is often the case with rescue... there's a lot more animals here than typically get pics and descriptions on the website. Oh, they may be listed... it may say, "2 month standard grey male," but that chin may find a home without ever having a picture up or description or anything. Some people don't necessarily look at our exhaustive list of chins available...and why not? Well, it's only THIS long:
- Electra (8-10 year old standard grey) & Cinder (1 year old dark ebony) -- female pair of chinchillas
- ***courtesy listing*** 4 year old ebony male chinchilla -- "Diesel" ***courtesy listing***
- 3 month old goldbar male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/14/16
- Melo -- 6 month old hetero beige female chinchilla -- dob approx. 6/13/16
- 4 month old pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- *special needs* -- dob approx. 8/16/16
- 2 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 10/20/16
- Benny -- 3.5 year old hetero beige male chinchilla -- fur chewer -- dob August 2013
- Weezy -- 1 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- special needs (seizures -- NO playtime / wheel) -- dob November 2015
- 7 year old hetero beige female chinchilla -- fur chewer -- culled breeder -- dob 2009
- 3 year old tan female chinchilla -- culled breeder -- dob Nov. 2013
- MNWI F74 -- 2 month old goldbar male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 10/21/16
- 1.5 year old TOV white male chinchilla -- dob approx. 6/2015 -- retired breeder -- allergies -- (see upcoming chins)
- Cheerio (previously known as Chincie) -- 8-9 year old hetero beige male chinchilla -- dob June 2008 -- (see upcoming chins)
- 3.5 month old dark ebony male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- (see upcoming chins)
- 3 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) #1 -- dob approx. 9/10/16 -- (see upcoming chins)
- 3.5 month old black velvet male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- (see upcoming chins)
- 3 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) #2 -- dob approx. 9/10/16 -- (info coming soon)
- Nio -- Abyssinian male guinea pig -- 11 months old -- dob 1/22/16
- Ratticate -- black hooded male rat -- 1ish year old -- dob approx. October 2015
- Chomper -- 6 year old white w/ agouti spots male rabbit -- dob approx. Nov. 2010 -- fostered in Highland, IN
- Nessie -- American crested female guinea pig -- 11 months old -- dob 1/22/16 -- (info coming soon)
- Toffee & Fatty -- pair of male guinea pigs -- dob Dec. 2014 (Toffee) & June 2015 (Fatty) -- (info coming soon)
Chinchillas & Critters Being Evaluated (can be put on hold now and taken home soon!):
- MNWI F70 -- 2.5 month old hetero beige female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob 10/3/16 -- available soon
- 2 month old black velvet female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 10/21/16 -- available soon
- 3.5 month old tan white / ebony pink white male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- available soon
- 3 month old light tan female chinchilla kit (baby) -- front leg stump -- dob approx. 9/10/16 -- available soon
- 4 month old standard grey female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 8/10/16 -- available soon
- 3.5 month old standard grey male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- available soon
- 3.5 month old hetero beige male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- available soon
- 3.5 month old white mosaic male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/1/16 -- available soon
- 2.5 month old standard grey male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 10/1/16 -- available soon
- 3 month old tan female chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 9/10/16 -- available soon
- 4 month old brown velvet male chinchilla kit (baby) -- dob approx. 8/10/16 -- available soon
- Thisker -- 4-5 year old standard grey male chinchilla -- dob approx. June 2012 -- available soon
- Zoey -- 2 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- dob approx. 1/1/15 -- available soon
- Tikii -- 5.5 year old hetero beige male chinchilla -- dob approx. June 2011 -- available soon
- Mija -- 2.5 year old standard grey female chinchilla -- dob approx. June 2014 -- available soon
... most people choose to scroll past all of that and look at the pictures of all of the fuzzballs. Nothing wrong with that, but believe me, if all you look at is the cute pictures, you're missing out.
Right now, there's pics and descriptions (including "up and coming chins" and "on hold" chins) on the website of a total of 21 critters (chins, rabbit, guinea pig, and rat). However, look at that list of how many are actually here? Regardless of them being available or not, there are 37 animals total here that are listed. That means, 43% of the animals here do not have pictures or any information about them on the website.
Now, knowledge is power. See a chin that's not available yet (or at least, not marked as such)? Ask! We had someone ask about F70 the other day... they said she's been listed as "under evaluation" for over a month now, and they wanted to know if maybe we'd decided to keep her, or if she was on hold for someone, or what. When we weaned her from mom, she actually had some fungus on her nose and we were treating it. Now, most of her fur is growing back in, but before I list her as available, I want to be sure that the fungus is completely gone, so I'll give her probably another week, and then look at her again and re-check fur growth. If she looks good and the fur's all working on growing back in, then she'll be moved to available. If not, she'll get another fungus treatment, and we'll go from there.
It's not necessarily that I don't want to list all of the chins. Rather, there's only so many hours in the day, and in addition to listing chins, there's quite a few more things to accomplish, so if you're wondering about one that doesn't have pics or a description, you don't need to wait for that chin to be listed, feel free to inquire!
Some of the chins on the evaluation list haven't been here long enough to be available. Adult rescues are housed for 30 days to ensure they are eating, drinking, pooing, maintaining weight, and generally doing well. Before that 30 days is up, they can go home if someone really is dying to take them -- but without a health guarantee. The grand majority of people want that health guarantee, which is completely understandable, so they wait the 30 days for us to list them. Still within their initial 30 days are Thisker, Zoey, Tikii, and Mija. Younger chins don't necessarily need to stay as long, provided they're doing well, but going along with not necessarily always having time to list them, occasionally, chins may not have been moved to the "correct" category yet. For example, I can tell you that right now, several of the chins that are listed in the "under evaluation" category are actually available and ready to go. Which ones? Well, I don't know off the top of my head, but I have them marked, and need to move those chins to another category. Again, what this means for you -- if you're waiting to see a chin be moved to "available" -- feel free to ask if the chin may already be ready, as sometimes, we get behind (I know, you just can't imagine that, right?).
Finally, also worth mentioning... if you are looking for something specific, feel free to ask. Someone today was asking about curly carrier females. I don't have any listed, and I don't intend to have any young ones upcoming, but I do have a chin that I took out of breeding, which might be of interest to them. She's nowhere on the website, which is intentional, as she'll have to clear her pregnancy watch before she would go to a pet home... but this is another breeder asking, so she could go home before that. Even for chins not-for-breeding-purposes... if someone emailed me asking for a violet wrap, I may not have it... but I can sure try to get it. Or sometimes people want an older chin that's sweet and calm, and I will admit, if I'm switching up breeders, I may pull some out of breeding and have them chilling in a cage for awhile before I think, I could have had that chin listed this entire time. Notably males, which can't be pregnant, obviously, but I had a white ebony male that sat around for at least 6 months before he was listed. If anyone had asked about him, he was available, and he did find a great home, but he wasn't on the website for the longest time. If someone had asked, hey, did I have an adult male... often I will actually physically go down to the basement to see what I have, and I would have noticed him and told them...
And I suppose what this all comes down to is, if record keeping was perfect and if I had all the time in the world, I could have the website perfectly up to date, and there would never be discrepancies between which chins are available, or there would never be chins that are available, but not listed, or without pictures, or whatever. But... let's be real. This is the real world, where real life keeps us on our toes and typically behind schedule, and we do what we can. So, that said, if you're looking for something that's not listed, or want to know about something that is, ASK.