Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Viewpoints

So, I was told the other day that someone saw, in one of the chin groups on facebook, that someone had seen us at one of the expos, and had snapped a pic of our booth and posted it on there, saying how we were horrible and totally had a ton of people impulse-buying chins, and we don't care about finding good homes, and yadda yadda.

In the future, this person is going to tag me, if I'm in the group, so I can share how adoptions work.

But here's why I mention this -- and I'm sure this falls on deaf ears for the people making the accusations -- but you know... if any of them would, you know, actually talk to us, they'd learn that none of this is the case.  If people have incorrect assumptions about chins, we correct them.  I'd rather someone come talk to me, and find out, you know what, a chin isn't the right pet for them... as opposed to adopting, that's great. 

Undoubtedly, a few of you have heard the story of the one guy who adopted a pair from us on Black Friday, where the guy had expressed he wanted "cuddly" chins, and how I'd explained that that's not really how chins are.  He said he understood, and took them home... only to return them about a week or so later.  Of course, that's not the ideal situation.  He had to learn for himself.  Despite him hearing me say that chins are not cuddly, and despite him expressly telling me that he did understand, and he understood he'd only really be holding them for short periods of time, he took them home... and determined (surprise, surprise) that what I told him was the truth, and that's not what he was looking for.  THAT is what I am trying to head off. 

I'm not trying to convince anyone that chins are great pets.  If you don't think so, fine.  Some people do, some people don't, but I'm not a salesman, trying to sell you chins.  I want to find these chinchillas homes that will hopefully have them for the rest of their LONG lives.  If I didn't care about chins, I'd just go around, without rescue adoption forms, and tell people, oh yeah, feed whatever you like, care for them however you like... just fork over the $$ and you can have the chin.  And you know that's not how it works.  Everyone gets a care packet if they take a chin home. 

The interesting thing is this -- I spend MORE TIME educating people who email / call / text / message on FB / see at expos -- more time educating those, than the typical people who come to adopt.  Many people coming to adopt are return customers, who were happy with their first chin from here and want to add a second furry family member.  They don't have to be educated a second time.... more often, time is spent educating people who've never seen a chinchilla before, and are curious what it is, and how it's cared for... or maybe their kid asked for one, and they want to do research before they buy one.  So, we tell them the positives, negatives, and so on.  I don't say they're a great pet and hide the fact that you will find poo in your bra next week.  There's good and bad things about every pet, chins included, and all of that is outlined in the care packet, and of course, if we talk to you, it's mentioned as well. 

But go ahead and tell me that we don't care and don't make sure the chins are going to good homes.  While I'm not going to go as far to do home checks, pardon me for doing expos, where we actually can be out in front of the public and get more visibility.  Should I be sorry for wanting more people to learn about chinchillas and their care?  Cause I'm not.  If a chinchilla isn't the right pet for someone, then by all means, they can go get something else, but if you ever think I don't care where they end up, you are sorely mistaken.  By all means, before you accuse me and anyone with me at these expos of not caring about the animals, come talk to us and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment