Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Have a little consideration...

So.. had someone call last night, asking if we take in guinea pigs.  Yes we do.

They said they would call in the morning to drop them off (this was from the 12th).  I explained, I was going out of town midday, and if they wanted to drop off that day, they'd need to bring the guinea pigs with a cage and supplies, so I could basically just set them down, so they'd be ready for my pet-sitter, and I could go.  I also explained, they'd have a page to sign, saying they would be signing them over.  Yeah, no problem.

So, the morning comes, they call crack of dawn.  I'm asleep, they don't leave a message, but they do call again, and I answer the phone.  They ask if now is a good time to drop off the guinea pigs, and I say yeah it's fine, so they tell me, it'll be about 45 minutes cause they're coming from the city.  That's fine.  I ask if he wants me to text him the address, he says yeah that'd be good, so I do.

Get a call, around that time later, the guy says he's here.  Now, mind you, I've told him to go to the side door so we can get the guinea pigs and their stuff inside and sign the forms.  So I go to the side door, he's not there.  I wait there for maybe 5 minutes, cause some people text before they are actually out of their cars, and then when no one has still shown up, I text asking if he's sure he's at the right house.  No response.

I look out the front door, and there's a car parked in front of my house, with a guy standing there and his dog peeing and pooing on my front lawn.  This goes on for about 25 minutes.  Considering I was just told that the guy was "here," I figured that was the guy.  I watched him and the dog for a little bit, before I decided, if he's just gonna let the dog randomly romp around, I'm going to go back to packing.

I really wanted to go out there and say something about the dog pottying on my lawn (cause you know, that's totally how you repay someone for taking in your unwanted pet..... let your dog shit all over their lawn), but I knew it wouldn't come out nicely, so I refrained.

Almost 25 minutes after that first call saying he was here, he called again, saying he was at the side door.  Cool, so I go to the side door.  STILL no one is there.  I give it a few minutes, then text saying that I am at the side door.  No response.  Few minutes go by.  I text again, describing the house and the cars in the driveway.  Still no response.  It's now been about 10 minutes since the person said they're at my side door.

I hear my dogs start barking, which makes me think maybe someone's at the front door (and you know, people go to the front door all the time), so I go to the front door.  Greeted by this:


Now, who remembers that I said I need a cage and all supplies with them, raise your hand.  Yeah.  Lovely cage and supplies.  I get that places are full, WE ARE TOO.  SO STOP FUCKING BEING ASSHOLES PEOPLE.  If someplace is NICE ENOUGH to take in your pets, when everyplace is full and every place else is turning you away, and specifies that the ONLY WAY they will take them in, is with supplies / cage... which you SURE BETTER HAVE to own the pet, you need to f-ing bring that stuff to the rescue.

This is literally what I get for being nice.  I tried to help out someone who needed to find a place for their guinea pigs.  Even moreso...on a day when I am packing to go out of town, already busy... this person wasted plenty of time.  From when they first called to say they were here, then had their dog shit on my lawn for 25 minutes, then said they were at the side door, then had me stand around for 10 minutes AT MY SIDE DOOR, waiting for them to arrive after they said they were at the side door.  Then I GET the pigs, and because they don't have a cage with them (which they were supposed to), I had to spend another hour putting together cages and getting them water bottles, food bowls, etc etc etc.  Obviously, this is all done for the good of the pets, but I mean.... what an asshole to not care and to leave the pigs outside.

Oh did I mention, I texted the guy after I brought them in, and asked for info.  Names, ages.  That's all.  The asshole couldn't be bothered to even text me back.  While I acknowledge, yes, they are in a better place now... it irritates the hell out of me that he couldn't be bothered to bring a cage, sign surrender paperwork... especially since we talked about this.  Why even CALL if you're going to just drop them on the porch??

The thing is... without info... I can tell they're both males.  But how old are they?  Young adults?  Adults?  Seniors?  Do they live together?  (the answer to that is clearly not, they do NOT like each other... but I could have been TOLD that).  Are they healthy?  Why are they being given up?  I mean... this may seem like no big deal, but it's a LOT harder to adopt out an "adult male guinea pig, sorry, no other info available" than a "3 year old male guinea pig, given up because the family no longer had time, previously got along with another buddy guinea pig, who sadly passed..."  Not having the info only hurts the pet's chances of adoption, that's the thing.

I do realize, the likely reason the guy left the pigs outside, rather than bring them in and talk to me, was cause he KNEW that we had talked about him bringing a cage and signing forms, and for some reason he didn't want to do that stuff.  Really... I imagine I would have squeezed them somewhere anyway, even if he'd shown up without stuff for them... but with him just plopping them on my porch, oh that makes me mad.

All I ask for, is a little consideration.  If you want me (or any rescue, for that matter) to take your pets, be nice.  If they ask for something and you say you'll bring it... bring it.  Don't waste their time when you get there.  This isn't hard stuff to do!  But so few people do it...

Further, these are their nails...




Those look like hawk talons, not guinea pig nails.  See that last pic of the clippings?  I bet they feel a lot better...   Anyway, I did not hit the quick ONCE!  Which means they could have been cut even shorter, but I was hesitant to cut any more off, as they were already not happy piggies and were gritting their teeth at me an at each other.  But these nails did NOT get this long overnight... this is neglect to not cut them that long, and I guarantee, was painful for the pigs.

So, these are some pics of the pigs.

This first guy is a male Abyssinia:

True-to-life color.... see more pics taken with flash for features...


And the other pig...appears to be a sheltie / crested mix?



Not sure if he was trimmed (ha! if they didn't cut the nails, probably didn't cut the hair either) but he's got a weird cowlick in the back of long fur... the rest of him is more medium-ish length.  Time will tell how his fur looks and grows out.

Neither looks to be in horrible condition, but they definitely should get more plumpness and more shine back to their coat with an appropriate diet, regular nail clippings, and so on.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment