Thursday, June 21, 2018

Updated on the Snake!

So, you may have read our post about the red tail boa that came in a bit ago.  If you didn't, it's here.  Wanted to give you a quick update on how she's doing, now that it's been about 3 weeks since she came in (we got her May 24th).

We feed our snakes on Fridays.  She ate a mouse the day after we came here, and then the following week (June 1st), refused to eat.  Just showed no interest.  She hadn't poo'd either, and with how skinny she is, it was a concern as far as whether everything internally is working alright.

I was at an expo on June 2nd, and picked up small rats for her.  Rats and mice have different nutritional info, as far as the amount of protein, fat, and so on.  Red tails are known for eating rats, whereas my corn snakes typically eat mice.  So, I picked up small rats for the redtail.

Following week (June 8th), I heated up a rat.  Absolutely no interest.  No poo either.  Boo.  My one corn snake enjoyed an extra big dinner with that rat though...

Following week, on the 14th, I had an adopter coming by to look at our adoptable hedgehog, Ox (didn't know we had one, did you?  If you're ever curious if we have a critter that you don't see listed anywhere, feel free to shoot us a message!  sometimes I can't get them listed fast enough!).  She asked what was in the enclosure (that held the red tail) so I told her the story of how we came to get her and all.  Turns out, she has a red tail of her own, so we were talking about her, and how she's teeny tiny based on her age, and I lifted up her hide, so this person could see her.  There was POO!!!!

I tell you, when you deal with unhealthy / sick animals, you sometimes get excited over the weirdest things.  In the poo was shed (snake skin)....like a LOT.  I'd never seen that before, but the person informed me that sometimes snakes will ingest their own shed if they are nutritionally deficient / starving.  Well, that wouldn't surprise me.  Removed the poo.  Had her out of her tank for a little bit, she was a good girl.

Fast forward to the 15th (next feeding day), I heated up a rat, and dangled it in front of her and she ate it!!!!  So happy for her!  I even messaged the person who was here to let her know the good news!


I feel like this may be one of those pics that needs an explanation to go with it.  Her head is at the bottom right, upside down.  See where those two coils are towards the bottom of the pic... the white coming from the right side is the underside of her neck, and when it curves to form the U-shape, you're looking at the bottom (upside down) of her jaw, holding onto the rat.  And she ate it!!  Who-hoo!!

A lot of recovery (for any animal) is getting them to eat, and put on the proper weight and such, so... eating is a BIG deal.  Super super happy she decided to eat.  Now, to see this trend continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment