Saturday, October 19, 2019

Yelp and Other Online Paid Marketing Sites

So, I've had people who've wanted to be helpful, and a lot of people suggest, oh get a paid listing on yelp, get a paid listing on the local paper website, that sort of thing. 

I believe I did post about this way back when (I know I did for yelp, but more specifically for the local paper), we did have ads running on their website... it never generated any real traffic, but it did zap the cash in our wallet.  That was a couple years ago, so that's ended.  Yelp, on the other hand, does have a free version, and periodically, they call me and try to talk me into the paid version, saying that my page will be more visible to more people who would be interested, and yadda yadda.  I know I've talked about this before, because this happens every so often.  Anyway, the thing is, I already get 400000 phone calls asking if (1) we found their lost dog, (2) we can take in their dog / cat, (3) we provide shot / veterinary services to animals, (4) we can help them when there's a loose dog in their yard.  Actually, about 80% of phone calls we receive are that type of phone call.... and I don't think Yelp is helping that.

Oh but it gets better.  When people are on Yelp, and they find your page, they can request a quote for services.  I don't get these often, but maybe 1-2 a month, and they always seem to be completely off the wall things, that of course, we do not do.  I think the last one was that someone was looking for a kitten.  Now, I can reply to these and say, we do not take in (and therefore, do not adopt out) kittens... and I do... but it does say, right on the Yelp page these people are looking at, what we are, what we do, and so on.

This was from a couple days ago:



So, John from San Francisco, CA, is looking for a c-section in zip code 60609 (Chicago, IL).... and they choose to reach out to...  a chinchilla rescue? 

...and they want me to pay, to share my details with MORE people.  Because, um... I wouldn't just end up with more like this?

I once (well, probably multiple times) have expressed my concern about how I'm getting more calls about unrelated issues, things we don't handle, to the Yelp people who incessantly call me, and their response is, "oh well it'd be targeted, you'd be under the "rescue" category" -- I ALREADY AM!  That's why people are calling about cats / dogs / strays / etc.  Um... no.  I'm good.

No comments:

Post a Comment