Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Pet Peeve

I know, I know, I'm always complaining.  But one of my biggest pet peeves is this -- people not reading the ads and ignoring everything in the ad, and just rushing to adopt.

Case in point.  We still have a rabbit up for adoption, he's at one of our foster homes.

If you search for a rabbit on petfinder, this is how his listing pops up:


Now, I realize this may be hard for some people, but you know, it never hurts to *click* something, so if you click the "more info" tab there at the bottom, you open up his page.  One of the FIRST things below the title, under the "About" section, is..... *drumroll*  adoption fee.


 Can you read what it says?  $35?  GOOD!  You can read.  Awesome!  That sets you apart from the rest, cause most people can't.

If you scroll down further, you get to read what I wrote about him, which AGAIN lists the adoption fee, in that section.  Like so:


So of course, this the typical email I get:


So, when I pound my head against the wall repeatedly, you all may understand.

Now, don't get me wrong, I nicely respond to this sort of email:

This is Ashley with NWI Chinchilla Rescue, we're the ones with the red rex mix rabbit up for adoption.  I received a petfinder inquiry from you about him, asking about his adoption fee and when you could come adopt him.  His adoption fee is $35.  

In order to adopt, you'd first need to read our rabbit care packet and fill out an adoption form.  Once you'd completed the adoption form and sent it back, it would be reviewed.  Once approved, we'd work to set up a time for you and the foster home (he's at a foster home, not at our rescue) to see him and potentially adopt him, if you're a good match.

I can email you the care packet and adoption form if you'd like?  Talk to you soon! 
... but it irritates me, because the info is there, most people are just too lazy to look beyond the picture.  Which irritates the crap out of me, cause I could say that its an attack rabbit which eats children for dinner, and half these people would be like, so what's the adoption fee??????

Plus... where can they pick him up.  Mind you, that listing is on petfinder, not craigslist.  I understand that most people don't have a clue (and if you read this blog with any regularity, you may be starting to agree), but I mean... it's NOT as simple as just walking into the house and handing me $35 and picking up the rabbit.  There's an adoption form to fill out, a care packet to read.  For animals that are already at a foster home, this all needs to be done ahead of time, as I hope not to waste not only my time, but also the foster's time, with flaky people.

Now, as you saw, I did send an email back.  Maybe one day, I'll get an email back that is like, "ok awesome, send me the forms..." but most of the times, people who can't even be bothered to find the adoption fee on their own never get past the whole "omg there's an adoption form?  I have to put forth *gasp* EFFORT???? the HORROR!!!!"  So, it's even more irritating, because as much as it's typically wasted breath, I still try my best to give people the benefit of the doubt and send them a message back, cause you just never know.  But honestly... if you can't find the adoption fee... you probably aren't going to take the effort to read an 8 page care packet and fill out a 2 page adoption form.  Sad, but it's just reality.

UPDATE! -- I got an email back: "Thank you for the information."  In other words, no thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment