Monday, April 29, 2019

Give and Take

So, this was actually something else brought up by a new foster, that I thought was kind of interesting, and so, I wanted to touch on.

I've always asked fosters to sign the foster contract (which they may or may not think applies to them, despite signing it, but that's beside the point)... but the one thing I do require is that all fosters let me take a copy of their ID, usually a driver's license.

Now, the actual reasons for this -- several things.  First, should I not be able to read their chicken-scratched address, I have a typed out version of it.  Second, should I ever need to go to their house for any reason, I already have the address and don't need to waste time asking for it.  Third, should a potential adopter ask me how far they are away from the foster, I can figure it out... literally to the foster's address.  Last, should they run off with my animal and supplies, I know where to find them. 

I always assure the fosters, I do not give out their address, and should any potential adopters be coming to their home, they themselves will be the one talking with them and giving out their address (and of course, they are not required to let potential adopters come to their home -- the other option is for them to bring the animal back to the rescue, where it would be adopted out here).  Basically, I assure them, I'm not using their info / ID information for evil.  Bwahahahaha.

So, the other day, one of the fosters said, well, I am entrusting them with an animal, and that's a big thing, so they feel they can entrust me with their information.  Basically, the way fostering works is that the foster home gets to care for an animal while it's in the process of being adopted, and they have to send photos and info routinely about the animal.... in exchange, I need their info. 

The reason I mention this is because of course, I've had people whine and moan before about giving their info.  I realize, people are secretive, but... this is fostering.  If people don't want to give the info, that's fine, but then, I don't want to give the animal.  Maybe fostering is just not for those really private people then, and that's fine, maybe they can find another way to help, if that's their end goal.  But it is give and take.  They give their info -- they take a basically free "pet" that they care for, with all supplies and support provided -- there has to be some "give."  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment