Saturday, April 27, 2019

Perspective

I wanted to write this, because sometimes when I talk to people, I discover my perspective on things is a bit different.  Not like in a weird way, but simply... I've been doing this now since 2003.  That's 16 years.  So what may be like old hat to me, may not be to you.

Of course, I try to put myself in everyone else's shoes when they ask a question or want to see more pics or whatnot, but sometimes I acknowledge that I really do see things differently.

The one thing that I often talk about with friends is how often I hear people say they don't have time for their chinchilla.  Going off yesterday's guest post -- without chins needing constant playtime (which they really don't) -- I really find it hard to grasp that perspective.  Of course, we'd all like more time with our animals.  I have dogs, and I'd love to spend all day doing nothing but sitting around and petting them.  But... well, we all have lives.  When you take away playtime -- and this goes for any animal really -- there's feeding them, watering them, cleaning their cage, and interacting with them.  What of this, takes so long, I'm really not sure.  By no means am I saying this to judge... I guess it's simply that I wish people would tell me what it is that they no longer have time to do, that they want to do, as it's just escaping me.

Another thing -- and this was pointed out by a recently new foster home -- "chins are high maintenance."  Are they?  When this foster home originally wanted to take a chin and foster a chin, the day they wanted to come was right before I went out of town for a week.  I told them, hey, you can... but if you hate it, you're stuck with it for a week until I get back.  They said that was fine, and that even if they really didn't like it, they could manage a week (this was months ago).  So, they signed the foster contract, took their foster chin and supplies, and went about their way.  Never did hear anything bad.  Well, a few days ago, they brought the chin back to the rescue so she can be adopted.  Since this was the first time they'd be officially "done" with a foster chin, I wanted to ask them what they thought.  Their FIRST comment was about how they had read so much online about how chins are so "high maintenance" and how, after having experienced one, they really didn't think so.  They asked me what I thought about this (and I agreed) and we had a chat about, as above, it's just weekly cage cleanings, keeping them fed and watered, and for this foster, she had a chin that enjoyed playtime, so they did playtime a couple of times a week.  But the point was... that was it.  And she couldn't imagine what those people were talking about, with the chins being high maintenance.  So, I think the next person who I hear say that, I am going to legitimately ask them, what about them is high maintenance?  Not to be an ass or whatever, mind you, but because I really want to know.  I mean... what pet out there is less maintenance than a weekly cage clean, and occasionally feeding and watering?  A pet rock?  So, I'm curious to hear an answer.

And the last thing -- I can't tell you how many people mention about how they're getting a cage tomorrow and then they need a few weeks to set it up.  Now, I acknowledge, not all cages are easy to set up.  But... just for shits and giggles, I vaguely paid attention to the time today, as I set up a critter nation cage that was completely broken down.  As in, no screws in the base, all the pieces just next to each other on the floor.  It took me less than 15 minutes (with a mallet to whack some uncooperative pieces into place).  As a single person, with no one else to hold a piece while I tried to fit it into the slot.  Now, I still need to wash and put in the pans... but that's all I need to do, as I usually sell them without shelves, as the new homes often do that themselves.  Now, I acknowledge that it took me probably less time than the average person, mainly because I've probably built 100+ of these over the years... but with two people, it should be even easier, and maaybe take 30 minutes, even including reading the directions.  So again, I guess I'm confused on what takes a couple of weeks?  For me, I couldn't put together two pieces and walk away, and come back later.  I will do the entire cage, or nothing.  So again, next time someone tells me they need a couple of weeks... I may just ask.  I really want to know!  Even if I do shelving -- which would be considerably easier with another person -- add another hour at the most. 

I'm not trying to lessen anyone's perspective on doing these things.  But I'm curious, for when people mention these, and other things similar to these... what exactly they mean.  It's good to know what others think of as "difficult" -- maybe someone wants a pet that is litter trained (as opposed to cleaning an entire cage every week) -- I don't know.  But I'll be interested to hear the answers, that's for sure...


No comments:

Post a Comment