Tuesday, October 29, 2019

How What You Do Affects Others

So, I know I go on and on about people missing appointments or showing up late, or whatnot, and yes, that is annoying (though most people do show up, albeit often late), but I wanted to share a real life example, which actually kind of upset me, of how something one person did, affected several other people / animals.

I have two seniors at the rescue right now, Mojo (12 years) and Dobie (13-14 years).  Both standard grey chins, very nice boys, but, well, seniors.  Seniors take a long time to be adopted, if they ever get adopted, unless we get people who are intentionally looking for seniors.  It does happen, but it's not as often as the people looking for the oh-so-cute babies.

Anyway, someone called the one day, asking about senior chins.  I was like YIPPEEE cause I actually HAD some seniors (sometimes people call and want seniors, and I don't have any... and then get in some right after).  So we scheduled her for Sunday evening.

Now, Saturday evening, I had an adoption going on, where one of my fosters was bringing their foster chin back to the rescue to be adopted, and was going to take home new fosters.  Because I was assuming the Sunday person would show up, and would want to see both seniors, and pick which one she wanted to take home, I did not send a senior home with the foster home.  I wanted to!  But I thought I had an adopter lined up, and didn't want to pass that up.  So, I sent a trio of chins home with the foster anyway.  I'm sure they will benefit, just fine, from more one-on-one attention, but not as much, IMO, as a senior that is already at the end of their life, and we want to make the end as great as the beginning.

I'm sure you have gathered from reading thus far, that the Sunday appointment did not show up.  Nor did they call / text to say the would not be showing up.  Nor did they answer my call / text to see if they wanted to reschedule.  I have choice words for that.

They probably think, no big deal, because the chins may be adopted by someone else.  And they may be.  But there are a limited number of fosters, and all of them have recently taken new chins.  So, figure, it'll likely be a couple months before either senior gets another chance to go into a foster home.  Now, maybe they'll be adopted before that happens.  That would be super!  But by one person not showing up for their appointment, she likely set these chins back a couple months from being in a home environment.  And to me, that's not ok.  Why is it so hard to call?

Pic of Mojo below (haven't taken pics of Dobie yet, he's still under health evaluation):


No comments:

Post a Comment