Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Low Chinchilla Prices

So, when people email me asking about lower priced chins, that's fine.  Nothing wrong with not wanting to spend $200 on a chinchilla... I mean, most small animals are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than even a $75 chinchilla, so I get it.  But at some point... it gets ridiculous.

I had someone email the other day, asking if we had any chinchillas available under $100.  Sure!  Those would be our standard grey adults, which are $75 for adults and $50 for seniors.  So I wrote up an email for his guy and sent him a list... I think there was like 5-7 chins on the list, mostly adults and one senior.

The response back asked where I was located and if I would lower some prices to 50, please.  I mean, he wasn't mean about it or anything, but... no.  Before I could even send a reply email, I received a second from him saying, "what about this one chin you mentioned?  (a 4 year old, the youngest on the list) how low can you go for her?"  Then ANOTHER email, "or do you have any females under 2 years old for $100 or less"

Now, first, I don't have any females under 2 years old for $100 or less (at least, not at the time I write this).  But also... note.. it has to be a female.  Hmmmmm. 

I hate to say it, but often times the people lowballing like this, are the ones that SEE the chins selling for high prices, and think "OOOOH!! I CAN BREED AND MAKE THOSE PRICES TOO!!  NOW TO GET CHINS DIRT CHEAP!!!"  They don't take into account... there's a reason my chins are selling for certain prices, and when you take $50 chins... the babies often LOOK like they're out of $50 chins (and may have all sorts of health problems to boot).

Anyway, at this point I know that he's not getting any of my chins, so whatever... I replied back saying, "The prices are what they are.  This is not a garage sale, this is a chinchilla rescue.  Would you go to the Humane Society and ask for lower prices?  I bet not.  If you cannot afford $75, you will have a hard time affording the monthly cost to care for a chinchilla."

Now, he did send me back an email saying thank you.... but I mean... no.  The prices of $75 for your average adult are reasonable... especially considering that MOST are not old (our average age is 2-5 years for adults) and they can live 15-20 years!  And I really do believe, if you can't afford that, it's gonna be hell paying for upkeep and all that.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment