Friday, January 18, 2013

Good times

Ok, so not much been going on lately on the adoption front.  Lots of people canceling appointments and deciding, after having their critter on hold for a few weeks, that they don't really want to adopt.  And of course, the people without the common courtesy to call and tell me when they're not coming, and last of all -- the person with the dog chew toys.  So, I think only one person has heard me talk about that, so here goes...

I had someone fill out an adoption form for one of our chins, and they left the chew toys section blank.  So, I emailed them and asked what type of chew toys were safe.  So, they replied:

Im not sure as to what type of chewtoys a chinchilla would need. Chew toys like dog toys? or do they have special chew toys?

So, I answered:

As for the chew toys, for chins they're for a different purpose than like a chew toy for a dog.  For chins, as the care packet indicates, the chew toys are meant to wear down their ever-growing teeth.  Typically, chew toys are made of wood, pumice, or other chin-safe materials that can gnaw on.

Her reply:

I will get a dog chew toy then probably from pet smart.

And people wonder why I want to pull my hair out.  I, nicely, emailed her back, saying:

As for the chew toy, I will paste what I wrote in the last email:

As for the chew toys, for chins they're for a different purpose than like a chew toy for a dog.  For chins, as the care packet indicates, the chew toys are meant to wear down their ever-growing teeth.  Typically, chew toys are made of wood, pumice, or other chin-safe materials that can gnaw on. 

If you read what I pasted above, you will see that a dog toy will not work, as dog toys are not made of wood.  You would want to get some sort of small animal toy in either the small animal or bird section of the store.  If you can't find anything you like, I have chew toys for sale.  But usually the pet stores have quite a selection of stuff to chew on, just look for toys with some sort of wood. 


Now, I want to note, this person put down on their application that they READ our care packet.  These type of people drive me nuts -- it's almost no different than the person who "reads" the care packet and then puts down that they're going to feed Kaytee.  Hands down I know the care packet says to not feed anything Kaytee.

But anyway, these people aggravating me has me on an all time bitch-fest lately (ya  might have noticed), meanwhile, I was stressed cause of all the animals and all the work cleaning em all -- someone is trying to help me out.  I'm not super religious, but there's no way this is all happening without some divine intervention.  I really don't think it's been cause I've been bitching, cause that's just been pissing some people off, rather than making them want to help. 

But I have had quite a few volunteers coming over lately to help, probably more in the last two weeks than I had all last year.  This has significantly lessened the stress for me, and given me someone to talk to, which is a hot commodity when you're not working and staying home. 

In addition -- and this has got to be divine intervention, cause there's no way this is just coincidence -- I ran out of the brown paper stracks bags I use for everything.  And of course, I forgot to tell my dad to make sure to ask for those when he goes to stracks, and he went later the same day... and got plastic.  So, this is sort of a problem for me, because, while I can use plastic for just about everything else... I need those paper ones for when people buy hay.  So, one of my regular customers comes by this morning to pick up some chin chow, and she shows up with...brown paper bags (the big kind, like I need).  Perfect timing.  Omg.  Awesome.  And some guinea pig food, and a water bottle as a donation, as well as some reuseable tote bags.  Awesome.

Also, got in the mail yesterday a donation from Mara some food for the chins.  I'd have to weigh it and see how much it is, but it's one of those large medium boxes full of food!  How awesome, right?  That should feed the rescues for awhile.  So then, today, I get in the mail another box, and it's this cute little package of guinea pig treats!  I believe it's also from Mara, as she's the only one who recently asked for my address (the address on the box is exactly how I wrote it out for her -- few people actually address boxes to "NWI Chinchilla Rescue c/o Ashley Gajda" haha).  Heck, few people send things here, so that really limits boxes that I get for the rescue, in general, lol.  But how awesome, right?  See pic below.

 
Don't get me wrong, I have food for the chins and treats for the piggies and all, they're not gonna starve without donations, but it's always nice to see someone's thinking of the rescue.  :)

I think that may be it for now.  Hoping to have some adoptions to post soon -- I got a call about David this morning, they said they needed to talk it over with their bf and they'd get back to me, so we'll see how that goes.  And then I'm supposed to have those 5 chins dropped off Sunday, assuming this appointment isn't cancelled again.  This person has already cancelled 2 or 3 appointments (for sure 2, might be three), so I'm not promising anyone first crack at any chins yet until they get here -- plus, I have no idea what she has in terms of male/female/color.... but sometimes the second I post "I think I'll be getting in a black velvet...." I get four emails saying (in so many words) "mine!"  Lol.  But no grabbies on these guys, until they're here anyways.  She's attached, and I understand that, I just wish, if she was going to cancel, she wasn't always the first appointment in the morning earrrrly in the day.  Just not a morning person.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness you screen people so well- that dog toy person sounds pretty ignorant!

    ReplyDelete