Friday, February 16, 2018

All Sorts of People

So, I'm always talking about how we run into all sorts of people, and some people have taken to asking about the people that I don't talk about.... what type of people are those?  So, over the last week (well, everyday, come on now), I've been answering emails, so I'll share some tidbits from today and the last few days...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had one email, well, an adoption form actually, filled out from someone in Puerto Rico.  I emailed them, letting them know that we can only ship within the 48 continental United States (amazing how saying "we can ship in the US" needs qualifiers), and asked if maybe they had planned another alternative to come get a chinchilla?  I'd asked, because I've had people from New York and Georgia drive here... when I would have bet money that I'd be shipping to them, versus I've shipped to Indianapolis before.  So, you never know.  This was at least a week ago now, never did hear back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had another one email, their adoption form was good for the most part.  They mentioned using branches from their organic trees in the cage, so I educated them about how they would need to scrub, boil, and bake the branches before use, so that they are bug and bacteria free.  I then got down to the treat section of the adoption form, and here was the question and their answer:

How many times a week should treats be given? : We think it is dependent upon what the treat is and how old the chinchilla is. fresh fruit or dried fruit limited to 3 times per week, but certain dried fruit like raisins only 1-2 times per week. We would ask your guidance as to what Ash is used to and try to replicate that.

The first part -- yes, does depend on how old the chin is and what the treat is, but obviously, fresh or dried fruit is a no-no, so I educated them on why those should not be given, what would happen if they are given, and safe alternatives.  This was also about a week ago, never heard back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had another email today from Canada.  They filled out an adoption form as well.  It looked good, nothing out of the ordinary... so I emailed them back and asked if they are planning a trip down here, as we are unable to ship out of country due to permits that we do not have (and would not make sense to get, as there's not that many people wanting chins shipped out of country).  Never heard back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another email, they submitted an adoption form for one of our chins.  I asked if they wanted to ship or drive down here... informed them of the cost of shipping, and linked them the shipping page.  I actually got a response back rather quickly, saying that it would be selfish of her to put the chin through shipping.  No offense to this person, but... in other words... it's likely too expensive.  I sent back an email explaining (in short order) that shipping isn't hard on the chins at all, that it's usually easier than a long car ride because it's over so quick, and they usually sleep the whole way, and of course, wished her luck finding a chin by her.  In case you wanted to read the page that she did, which suggested that shipping is difficult on the chins, it is here -- everyone's got different opinions, I realize, but I just re-read that and am scratching my head on how it would be selfish to put a chin through that.  It's very similar to taking a chin home in a carrier... but by airplane.  Doesn't matter...  Anyway, got an email back, they basically said, oh but it won't be above 40 here anytime soon to ship.  In other words... she was reading my shipping page and looking for reasons why I wouldn't be able to ship to her.  People... just tell me it's too much money.  When you start making excuses, I can usually tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phone rang... person asked if this was a rescue.  I said yes, this is a chinchilla rescue.  They start telling me they have a dog they can no longer care for, so I reiterate, this is a chinchilla rescue, and we only rescue chinchillas, guinea pigs, rabbits, those types of small caged animals, so unfortunately, we're unable to help that person, but I tell them they should give some other places a call and hopefully someone else can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone called today and asked if I remembered them, they told me which chin they adopted years ago.  Turns out, the son (adult son) adopted the chin, has moved in with his gf, is going to be married soon, and hasn't taken the chin with, but instead, left it at the parents' house... which is the ones who called me, wanting to bring the chin back into the rescue.  I said that's fine, they're going to call back once they've talked to the son again to schedule a time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could go on and on about these cause I spend a few hours on email per day, and a good number of phone calls as well... but one more for the moment...

Got a text message from someone asking about Cass & Alf, some guinea pigs that were at a foster home.  They wanted to know if the guinea pigs could be brought to Hammond for an adoption, as we're closer to them than the foster home.  Sure.  I actually had the foster home coming here in a day or two after the initial email, so I messaged them and let them know that if I received an adoption form back, they could bring the guinea pigs back to the rescue.  So I tell the adopter, sure we can bring them here, but I need you to fill out an adoption form, and I asked for their email so I could send that to them.  The provide me with the email, I send out the adoption form.  Few days pass, nothing.  I get someone else inquiring about the guinea pigs, so I text the first person back and ask them if they're still interested and specify that I would need the adoption form back, in order to approve them, and so on.  They responded back, yes they are interested, they'll get the adoption form back to me that night.  Two days later, I get the adoption form back, and I couldn't have had it in my email for an hour, before they're texting me being all like "did you get it???"  So, I look at it... the spots where the adoption form asks, what type of food, what type of hay / bedding / leafy greens, what type / size of cage -- you know, all the relevant info that I use to base the entire adoption off of -- for every single one of those blanks, this person put "I haven't gotten supplies yet."  Ok.  So I thought, maybe they intend to get supplies here, and want to know what I'm using, and that's why they haven't filled this out yet.  Trying to give benefit of the doubt.  So I text that back, and they say no, they just haven't gone to the store yet.  And since they're not volunteering any info, I text back and say, ok, are you planning on going to the store sometime soon?  I specify, I can't hold the guinea pigs without a completed adoption form and a deposit, and they won't have the completed adoption form until they let me know about those supplies...  Their response is that they can go to the store Sunday.  So I text back for them to let me know when they go and tell me what they get, and we will go from there.  In the meantime, the foster did bring these pigs back to the rescue, where they now are chilling...

No comments:

Post a Comment