Monday, February 19, 2018

Stupid Moments

Ever had one of those stupid moments?  Well, we all have... this actually happened awhile ago, but I was just thinking about it today...

When I got in the first batch of geckos, the previous owner brought me caps used for feeding.  In case you're not aware, crested geckos eat something called CGD (crested gecko diet -- creative name, I know, haha) and it's a powder that gets mixed with water, to create a applesauce-like-consistency goo that they eat.  It's supposed to be similar (though with more balanced nutrients) to the rotting fruit that they would eat out in their tropical natural environment.  This is commonly put in little cups (sort of like you'd see used for salad dressing), or for the smaller geckos, people use bottle caps, like off a bottle of pop.

So anyway, I have myself, Jim, and my parents saving bottlecaps when we drink bottles of pop, and those get washed out and dried and then used for the CGD, and then when I change the food, I can just pitch them and use new ones.  No need to wash (washing the bottle caps to clean is a lot quicker than trying to wash out dried CGD).  Works out good.  I have bought some sleeves of little feeding cups:
(and there are some other re-useable feeding caps available online as well)...but on these, there's a lip on the outer edge where food gets caught... and honestly, most of the geckos are young and won't eat this much food (and it's not much, these little cups hold only 1/2 oz.

Anyway... so I wasn't thrilled with the current re-useable cups I had, and so this previous owner brings me, with her geckos, some larger feeding cups which she is using for water and, what look to be, plastic re-useable feeding caps.  They're all bright colors, and probably hold about the same amount as a bottle cap, except they're more flattened out, versus bottle caps being higher / more up-and-down.

So, I figure, she must have bought these at some gecko site, and I like the bright colors and think they're neat, so I use them. 

When I first go to wash them, I notice on the bottom, some have an R and some have an L.  Right now, some of you are like... I get it!!!  But read on.  For me, it didn't click, and I thought, oh these are sizes.  R must be for regular and L must be for large.  It took me a few weeks to realize that the L and R ones were the same size.  Mind you, I'm not thinking too hard about gecko feeding caps... better things to do.

But I still hadn't figured it out.

It wasn't until I had taken my contact case out of my bathroom and taken it to the kitchen sink to clean / sterilize... and had the caps of that off, nearby my gecko caps... that I realized... these colorful gecko feeding caps that I liked so much... are contact case lids!  LOL!  

They work well, it doesn't matter... just can't believe it took me that long to realize what those were....

We all have these moments...

No comments:

Post a Comment