Saturday, August 18, 2018

Going Elsewhere to Adopt

Let me start by saying, I completely respect everyone's right to adopt from wherever they like.  That said, I still think people should have some common courtesy.  For example...if someone is talking with me, back and forth, and then decides to go elsewhere, I feel like it's never a bad thing to receive an email saying, you know what, we decided to go elsewhere.  I know, I know, people don't do that.  But it would be damn nice if they did.

Case in point.  I had someone wanting to adopt two same-sex guinea pigs.  When they originally emailed me, I had one of each gender, but I told them, I knew I had more younger ones coming in, and when I got back in town, I'd let them know what gender they were.  Obviously, since there were multiple, I would end up with at least one same-sex pair, which is what they wanted.  So, she waits until I get back in town and sends a quick email, asking for an update.  I email the next day, telling her I'd checked the guinea pigs, had two males now, and asked her if she wanted to see pics.  Yes she did, so I told her, I'd get those within a few days.  Send her the pics.  *crickets* 

I was going through my inbox today, and saw that email sitting there, still with no response, so I sent her a quick message basically saying, you know, just wanted to check if she was still interested, and if not, that's ok too, but also letting her know that I'd appreciate if she could let me know, because I hadn't listed the guinea pigs, due to her saying how she wanted the same-sex pair and basically waiting around for me to get more in, pair them, yadda yadda.  I got an email back like that *snaps* saying they decided to go with another rescued pet, sorry it didn't work out.

Here's the thing.  No hard feelings.  Like, it's literally no big deal.  What frustrates me about this sort of thing... what if I'd had someone here over the last few days wanting to adopt a young male pair of guinea pigs?  I would have told them, sorry, this one person is going to adopt them... and then you see what happens.  This is why I feel communication is so important, and why I feel like if someone decides to go elsewhere or get a different pet or whatever... that they should let the original rescue they were conversing with KNOW about it.  Common courtesy, to me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment