Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Making Appointments

I guess I thought this was more or less common sense, but this week has shown me that's not the case.

Let me ask you a question.  Let's say we're talking about possible appointments, and I tell respond with this:

Friday (today) -- 7 pm or later
Saturday -- 6 or 6:30 pm or 8:15 pm
Sunday -- sorry no availability
Monday -- Available 12:30 and later
Tuesday -- not sure yet
Wednesday -- available all day
Thursday -- available earlier than 12 noon

And I end the message asking when works?

Now, here's the question.  If you respond back and pick a time... do you, or do you not, wait for a confirmation before you just show up?

For me, personally, if I got an email like that, I would likely respond, how about Wednesday at 3?  And then I would wait for a response, that would basically tell me, yes that will work, or no that will no work.  I suppose maybe the reason I think this way is because I understand that these appointments / availability may fill up / change by the time I respond.

I have come to learn that many people (several in the last few days in fact), just pick a time and show up.  In fact, I had one email back and say, ok this time works... I never saw that email... so then the sent another that said, oh could I come at this other time instead?  Never saw that email either, as it was a busy weekend.  So, they just showed up at the time they specified in the second email.  I wasn't home. 

Now, this is another one of those things I suppose you can take multiple ways.  Should I stay so on top of my email that I get nothing else done?  Maybe you think so, maybe you don't.  Of course, I do my best, but like this past weekend, we had two expos, one on each day, and that puts everything else on hold for a moment as there's a lot of prep, packing, and set up time. 

I suppose another consideration, something else you might view two ways... I said I was available at that time.  Did that mean, because I said that, even without knowing someone wanted to come... should I have stayed home?  My view on that, personally, is that without knowing I have someone coming (which is why I set appointments as opposed to having hours of operation), I am not required to be here.  I set appointments so I know when people are coming, and they can ensure that when they come, I will be here.  Mutual benefit.  They don't waste a trip when no one's home, and I don't sit around waiting for people who I don't know are possibly coming.

For those curious -- they ended up calling me from my doorstep, and came by later that evening when I was home.  No big deal.

The reason I mention this though, is because I find this insanely important as far as appointments.  Let me repeat what I said earlier, again.  I make them, to ensure I will be home when someone wants to come by.  I know that I have an appointment at 5, I will be sure to be home by / before 5 pm.  If I have no appointments set for all day and someone shows up... I may be home... but I may not.  It depends on the day.  But just because I give a list of available times that are possible (keyword: possible) for appointments, that doesn't necessarily mean I will just be sitting home at all of those times, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for people.  Rather, they as possibilities.  If you would like to come at one of those times, you need to ask, does a certain time work, and I will confirm, yes it does, or no it doesn't.  Most likely, unless someone already has an appointment at that time, I do my best to work around people's schedules, so it's not hard to make an appointment.  Just... one does need to be made... and confirmed.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment