Sunday, May 5, 2019

Calls About Adopting Other Animals

This is another one of those things that I just don't get, and we've been getting a LOT of this lately, so I wanted to talk briefly about it. 

So, someone calls the rescue, and asks, do we have kittens / dogs / puppies for adoption.  Lately a lot of people asking for kittens.  And I will explain, we don't take in dogs or cats, we only take in small animals.

So then the next question is, "ok, what do you take in?"  So I tell them, chinchillas, guinea pigs, those sorts of animals.

Their next question is, "oh, are those free or do they cost?"  I explain, they all have adoption fees.

"Oh, what are the adoption fees?"  So I tell them, chins tend to start at $75, guinea pigs $25-35 for a single, $40-50 for a pair.

And that's usually the end of the phone call. 

Here's what I don't get... if you're calling to get a kitten... and someone says, oh we don't have them, but we have chins and guinea pigs... first, it's not what you're looking for, so why does the phone call not end there, and second... when you start asking about adoption fees (and sometimes they even ask what those pets are like and how hard they are to care for)... how does this NOT seem like an impulse thing to the person at the rescue?  Of course, I'm always nice to the people, because maybe some of them go home and research and decide that a small pet is right for them... but I think many of them seem a bit overly curious, about an animal that they weren't looking for, 5 seconds ago.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment