Sunday, May 7, 2017

Hours

I'm sure I've said it before... but in case a few of you all missed it... we don't have set hours.

We do everything by appointment, and are happy to work around your schedule, but don't have hours.

Had someone the other day, who asked if we were open on the one certain day.  I told her... I would likely be here, but she'd need to set an appointment.  I explained, reason being, we don't have hours because there's not that many "walk-ins."  People actually travel quite some distances to come here and adopt, and get supplies.  And honestly... half the people who could come here to purchase stuff... ship it. I guarantee you, probably 50% of packages I send out are to Indiana / Illinois, and a good amount of that 50% are going to addresses within an hour of here.  Which is fine, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to mail the stuff out.  However... if the people that close would rather ship... having hours would leave me sitting in the house, hours on end, waiting for people to show up.  Maybe people would, maybe people wouldn't... but honestly, I hate to restrict myself to sitting home for 8 hours a day.  Not necessarily because I go anywhere... because some weeks I don't go anywhere for days at a time... but because the second that I say, ok, I'm open on Tuesdays from 9-4... I will have a chin that needs to be rushed to the vet on Tuesday at 10, and with those hours... I shouldn't leave (and no, there's no one else here to take over)...and that's the sort of thing I worry about.  So.... the hours have never happened, with the exception of having vague hours on Black Friday.

I actually thought (stupidly, I suppose) that after I gave this person a short explanation, that she would understand and would set an appointment.  Nope, she just said she thought that since I had items for sale, that I would have set hours (even though I was out of the house, which she knew), and thanks anyway.

Which is fine, don't get me wrong.... but I can't please everyone.  It would never fail that if I had hours, and had a day off... that's the day everyone would want to come.  And days that I had hours, no one would be free those days.  Which is why I do appointments -- it's rare that I'm not here, and taking appointments, most days of the week, and I'm happy to work around your schedule.  But hours... probably not gonna happen anytime soon.  Sorry about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment