Friday, April 6, 2012

...and the bad news (and some more good news)

So... we got in a rat, Theodore... he has a sinus infection.  So he is being treated with antibiotics, but I can't say he's happy about it.  And when his previous family said he bites...yeah, he bites.  Owch.

On top of that, on the forum (CnH) there was someone asking if there were any rescues near Indianapolis and so I PMed her and said we're a few hours away.  Well, apparently some people on the forum (who should be happy that I won't name them in this blog) had already told this lady -- hey, don't give your chins to that rescue, she takes rescues and breeds them.  Really?  This is a new one to me.

So of course, it's not true.  But that doesn't mean it didn't get me riled up.  The lady (with the chins needing to come to a rescue) actually had called me cause she said she looked at my website and thought it was odd that I had all these great guestbook signatures and great testimonials and all, yet this other person was saying I was like scum.  So she called to make up her own decision.  After talking to her, she decided that we do not, in fact, breed rescues (thank you for someone not believing everything they hear) and she said we would set a time to bring them over.

I did private message the person who was going around spreading these lies.  I simply asked where she had heard that and said that I wanted to set it straight that we do not breed rescues and such.  Of course, she never messaged me back.  No, that would be too civil of her.  And as a "buddy," I know she has been on the forum since that day and has seen my post and all.

Well, today, (I suppose this is good news), the people with the rescue chins came over and dropped them off here (without telling that other person until after the chins were here).  The people dropping off the chins were very nice.  I felt bad cause the kids were crying and the mom started tearing up... it's sad when people have to leave their pets.  And you could tell they really cared for them.  They did post on the forum after they dropped the chins off here (I'm not sure how readable this is going to be):

 ...and I thought that was nice of her.  So I got the chins settled in in one of our empty FN's and I put together their CN after they left.  I have to say, I like the way the old-fashioned FN's go together, with the screws.  I wasn't loving the way the new FNs/CN just sort of slide together in various places.  Like for example, the top piece of the cage has two prongs on each corner that slide down into the corners... yeah, not so much.  I had two metal cable ties that I used on the front two corners, and I will need to go buy a few more so I can cable tie the back two corners down as well.  I don't trust creative chins trying to get the top off of their cage.  Other than that, the cage went together pretty easily... considering it was just me, and I guess I'm getting used to putting everything together myself.

Got the cage together, and started checking for the broken bars that I was warned about.  Found a decent number of them, clipped them all with neon clothespins so I can find them later. I bought this liquid steel thing that's supposed to be almost like welding except... not.  So I think this will be a good place to try it on.  We'll see how it goes, I supposed I can't mess it up any more than it already is.  Didn't have a chance to look through the stuff the people left with the chins yet, as they'll still be in the FN at least for a few more days until I have a chance to work with the CN, but it definitely looks like they had the girls spoiled while they were in their care.

So... realized at about 10 pm that I did not have my stuff ready to go for Storm's pickup tomorrow, so I had to rush and cut the wood and put together a hidey house (I know, I know, waaaay too last minute for a hidey house, it's gotta dry) and cut the wood and put together shelves and a cage.  I didn't know if they wanted the cage set up or not, cause I forgot to ask, so I set it up... I figure if they don't want it set up, it'll only take a few mins to take apart, so no biggie.  And she wanted a hammock and water bottle and several other things, so I got that all ready.  She's coming tomorrow right around when I get home from work, and I think *fingers crossed* everything is ready now..

Oh!  And we added some new permanent-resident members to our family - three guinea pigs.  A brown and caramel abyssian male named Hershey, and two females (not yet named).  They will eventually have a C&C cage, well, maybe a C&metal-pan cage (just not feeling the chloroplast) and I'll surely have to build a stand for that... but that time will come closer to back to school time when those Cube things are on sale.  Right now, they're in the biggest rabbit cages we have, which are pretty large, they'd be like almost 2x5 cubes, so decent sizes.  But their future cage (as seen in my head, haha) will be nice.  I'll have to ask Bass how deep they can make pans, cause I think I could use more than just the usual 2".

Then, we had someone call today about the Luna and Darth (gerbils).  Sounded good until they asked how far we were from Cincinnati (OH).  About 4ish hours?  So they called back and said sure they'd make the trip and then start talking about how it'd be 2 hours to get here... and I was like wait, no, there's no way they could get here in two hours.  So, somehow they thought I said Muncie, even though I clearly said we're in the northwest corner of the state (and Muncie is, in no stretch of the imagination, in the northwest corner of the state).  So they thought that when I said 4 hours, I meant roundtrip.  Really?  Interesting, cause when someone asks me how long it takes me to get to my mailbox, I don't say, 5 minutes... oh, well roundtrip.  But anyway, I don't see them driving 4+ hours for gerbils, so I don't anticipate hearing from them again.

But... been playing phone tag with someone else.  Someone in Valpo is selling a cage that seems rather large... who knows how well this lady's measuring skills are, but she says 5' long, 3' deep, and 5' high.  Sounds like a Marshall Mansion to me.  Can't say I'm in love with them, but for the right price... and she said she would lower the price cause we're a rescue (she originally called me and left a message).  So I called her back, got her voicemail and I asked what the price was, the condition of the cage, where she was, and all that.  Found out, she called back while I was at work and left a message which said - she's in Valpo, cage only had two chins in it, no rust, pretty much new, and they would reduce it to $50 for us.  Sounds good!  So I called back, got the voicemail (I said we were playing tag, eh?) and told her that it sounded good to me, but I just wondered if the cage folded up, because even though we have my blazer, it probably couldn't fit something like that inside.  And I asked if she could wait until Monday cause Monday I'll be at the law office, and Hobart is in the direction of Valpo, so it's not like I'd just be driving all the way out there for the heck of it.  So hopefully she'll call back tomorrow.

And I think that's it!  It's been a busy few days.    Ok, one more thing.  Had someone call about Delilah right the day when she was adopted, so I called the guy back and told him about Moch and Mycha, who we just got in, but have the same Delilah-type personality, and so he said he wanted to fill out an application for them.  So, as luck would have it, we've been having problems with our AT&T triple play thing, so we had no internet last night, so I wasn't able to email him the forms until today.  While I was at work today, he called to say that he hadn't gotten the forms - good sign!  He definitely seems interested!  So I emailed him the forms today when I got home... hopefully he will get them and this will turn out good.  :)

Since I got in Willow, Jordyn, and Lexi (the three from the whole CnH mess) today, and I had someone on my list looking for a young pair, I emailed them asking if they might have any interest in this trio.  So we will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment