Sunday, October 7, 2018

Flat Rate Shipping

Why do I push flat rate shipping?  I know people are probably always wondering why I tell them, they're better off ordering the flat rate boxes of food and dust, rather than ordering a pound here or there (when it's being shipped, anyway). 

Let me give you an example.

Someone from Florida ordered two pounds of Tradition.  I packed that up in a bag, set that bag in a tiny box (see pic below) and weighed it.  Just over 2 pounds, the box is 8" x 5" x 4".  Small (especially compared to the packages I normally ship).


Care to guess the shipping?  The DISCOUNTED rate that I get through PayPal... USPS GROUND (so, ABSOLUTE cheapest)... is $12.15.  That's actual cost, not even with any handling figured in (I usually add about $1 for paper, tape, packaging, etc).

The shopping cart charged this person $10 for shipping, which I thought would be plenty, but nope!  Still over $2 short!!  I emailed her, giving her some options to either refund, or maybe add more poundage and bump up $4 to that shipping cost so I can ship flat rate (and then, 10+ pounds for that shipping cost)... so we shall see what she wants to do.

But notice, $12(!!) shipping for 2 freaking pounds!!  Versus my flat rate boxes on the webstore are 11 pounds and I can usually cram more like 13ish pounds in there (depending on what else is ordered) and get it anywhere in the country for $14.75 shipping.  INSANITY.  So yes, this is why I suggest people buy the flat rate boxes.  Because anything else just doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment