Thursday, October 11, 2018

Showing! Or Lack Of...

So, some people were asking about why I haven't been posting about going to that many shows recently, as we've missed a few that we've attended in the past. 

As you may remember, my breeding herd moved to board at the Ritterspach ranch.  They are doing well, settling in, and actually breeding better than they were here... but it's still not quite been maybe 6 months since they've left.  Probably not even that long.  So, they're still settling in, and the chins that are being born are growing out.  It all takes time. 

Chins that are shown are typically 8-14 months old, and that means, from the time they're born... 8 months later, you might be able to show them.  In a perfect world, you pick out which ones look nice as youngsters, and hang onto those.  Sometimes that works out and those turn out to be the super nice show chins, but also what can happen is that as they grow out... they may not look as nice.  So, those end up going to pet homes.  Much of having something to show is picking which ones to hang onto, as youngsters.

That all said... I will be at a show soon!  The Ohio Claim show is coming up later this month, and with the re-organized Ohio Chapter MCBA, I am the new Secretary / Treasurer, so I get to have all sorts of fun figuring out how all that works... including the claiming part... for my first show!  Make sure you all come out and claim animals so that I have lots and lots of paperwork to do, lol.  I may or may not have a vendor table there, that has yet to be determined, but of course, I can always bring things to the show if anyone wants anything specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment