Monday, May 29, 2017

No Time for Chins, Getting Other Pets

This is one of my pet peeves.  I just got a text earlier tonight, from someone who has one of my chins.  Long story short, the text (in relevant part) reads:

"Hey, this is so-and-so, I got this one chin from you.  I can't take care of him any longer as I just got two new puppies and I don't have time for him anymore."

This happens ALL THE TIME.

Again, maybe someone can explain the logic of this to me, but I can't tell you how many people tell me that they got in a new puppy, and now don't have time for the chin.  Maybe its me, but... did you really think a puppy (much less two!) was going to free up your time?  Of course not!  Well, maybe some of the logic-challenged people might somehow think so... but... puppies TAKE your time, heck even adult dogs take time.  No wonder you don't have time for your pet, because you got two new ones!  What did you think was going to happen?

I love my dogs.  Anyone who knows me, knows that, but.... jeez... you knew getting a dog that it was going to involve time and work.  I wouldn't suggest getting rid of a dog if it didn't get along with the chin, IF the dog was there first.  But even with that, I know of a lady who had two chins from the rescue, then went out and got a rescue dog... the dog kept attacking the cage, knocking over the cage, trying to get at the chins.  So... she rehomed the chins!  She'd had them for YEARS, versus the dog for a few weeks.  I guess I just don't get it.  I would re-home the newest animal that is the "problem."  I feel like, the animal you already have, should come first over in priority over any new animal you try to bring home.  Course... if everyone felt that way, we wouldn't see old senior dogs surrendered to shelters, when people bring home puppies, and the two don't get along (and that happens way more than I'd like to think about).  I guess I just view it differently.

If the dog was there first and then the chin got brought home, and then the dog attacks the chin cage -- fine, return the chin.  Cater to the animal that was already there, already part of your family.  If the chin was there first, dog goes.  I suppose this probably isn't a popular viewpoint, as mentioned, I run into people wanting to surrender chins all the time that would disagree with this whole post... but it just irks the crap out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment