Thursday, March 29, 2018

International Orders

So... I know that different places offer free shipping...but usually in-country, and usually large companies like Walmart or other similar places, on large orders where they are definitely making more in profits than they are going to spend on shipping.

That does not include small businesses.  Because our prices are lower to start with, we have to charge for shipping.  If we were to include it... at least for my products, many of the prices would literally double.

This is even more true for international shipments.  My shopping cart on my website is not set up for international shipments.  So... if you are from another country, it will let you check out... but it will not charge you shipping.

I realize that isn't the greatest, but I haven't found a way around it.  Also haven't found a way to set it for US-only orders.  Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with shipping an order to Canada or another country... but usually the cost is prohibitive.

Now... if I ordered something from a UK website and it didn't charge me shipping, I'd tend to think ok something isn't right, surely I need to pay shipping, let me check with the owner.  Maybe not everyone though...

I got a website message from someone who put in an order in Canada, asking how they could track their order, and when it would arrive.  I hadn't even realized the order was in Canada, as I usually realize that when I am writing out invoices.  Anyway, so I went and looked at their order so I could put into the USPS shipping calculator to see how much shipping would be.

They ordered three different herbs, 3 oz. of each.  Add a bubble mailer, up to 12 ounces (which is 3/4 pound).  Put this, Canada, and the province, and postal code into the shipping calculator... $16 for First Class International mail.  So, I emailed the person back, and let him know, hey, $17 for shipping... needs to be paid before I can mail out the order.  The order is only $22 (and this price issue is usually the case with international orders), so I told him, I understand if he doesn't want to pay that much, let me know and I can refund the order.  His response was basically asking if there wasn't any other cheaper shipping method (sorry, no... priority started at $25 for a small flat rate box... first class cheapest) and he said if not, he'd appreciate a refund.  Refunded.

If you want something shipped out of country (by me, anyway)... often best to ask before you put the order in... as I probably refund 95% of those international orders because shipping ends up ridiculously, cost-prohibitively high.

No comments:

Post a Comment