Friday, July 12, 2019

Cages for... Ferrets? Chinchillas?

So... when we list cages on our used cages page, we have a section where we list them depending on what they're good for.  So the smaller cages often say good for hamsters, mice, etc... for some of the bigger ones, we have chinchillas, rabbits, etc etc and so on.

And so sometimes, we have a cage like this one:


...and we have it listed as good for chinchillas, ferrets, prairie dogs, etc. 

Undoubtedly, when I list a cage like this (read: with plastic shelves and plastic "stuff") as "for chinchillas" people lose their minds, and a select few will even reach out to me and share their thoughts with me about this sort of thing. 

I guess those same people miss the entire section of the website where it says, stay away from plastic and use wood shelves?  I say that... because if they saw that, then I wouldn't think they would feel the need to tell me this. 

Anyway... I listed this cage like that (this was like... a month or two ago, at least... it's long gone) because if someone is looking at that cage for, say, a ferret, prairie dog, or another animal that is not a chew-a-holic like chins are... that cage, as is, may be just fine.

As it turned out, I had a chin person end up wanting that cage.  While they were here, we swapped out the plastic shelves for wood shelves, added chew toys, added a hanging hammock shelf, added a fleece tube (up at the top) and so on.  Looks much better now, eh?


The thing is... when I list the cages, they can often be improved on.  However, I often hesitate to post a cage like the revised version (second picture), especially when I have the original shelves and they're not chewed to heck... because there IS going to be a price difference between the first and second version of that cage.  But the point is, the cages are always open for improvement, and often can look much better and be much better for the animal with some adjustments... but some things depend on what animal is using them, and how much the new owner can afford, at that specific time.

No comments:

Post a Comment