Sunday, July 14, 2019

Loofah!

So, as you may or may not know, one of our most popular toys is our zany loofah toy.  In case you're not familiar, it looks like this:


... which of course, requires loofah to make!   That toy sells for $7.00, and we also sell both natural loofah slices (4 slices) for $1.75, or 4 colored loofah slices for $3.00.

So, as you can imagine... we go through some loofah!

Well, this past year, I actually ran into loofah SEEDS and I was super excited.  I live in the suburbs, so while I have a raised garden bed, this really isn't the ideal place for growing a vine-y plant, so I talked to Jim and we planted some loofah seeds at his place!

Below is the current set up for about half the seeds.  I say half, because we initially planted them in mounds (as you're supposed to) by fence posts... and then had the genius idea to put up a goat panel with T-posts and mound seeds in front of that.  So, we put up two of them, here's how that looks:


And... some pics of loofah sprouting! 



These two pics show the loofah when it just had first sprouted.  Some of the sprouts now have a couple of the actual vine-y type leaves and are growing!  I don't have a pic to show that, of course (haha), but I will put up another post once these have more time to grow.

Hopefully if these grow well and all, I will have some literally home-grown loofah available this late fall / winter.  EXCITED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment