Monday, July 8, 2019

Discounts

I know, I know.  I'm constantly yammering on about people wanting something for nothing.  But this was something that wasn't quite so familiar...

Someone asked, for a $75 chin, could I discount the chin to $50 if I didn't include the food and treats.

First off, no.

Second off, that's problematic.  Not so much the treats, but a good owner should want the food included, so they can do a transition switch to the new food.  You don't want to do a cold turkey food switch -- for any animal -- unless you absolutely have to, as it can wreak havoc on their digestive system.

Third... this may come from people buying stuff from the pet stores with their high prices... but the food and treats that are included with the chin is not expensive.  The bag of food you get is ~ 2 pounds.  2 pounds of Tradition costs $1.50, 2 pounds of Mazuri costs $2.50.  The goodie bag that's included costs $2.00.  To be perfectly honest, I'm including this stuff because I want people to have the food the chin's on, I want them to be able to try a variety of treats and see what the chin likes, and so on and so forth... I'm not adding it into the cost.  It just is what it is. 

...and my response to the guy was basically that... the food and treats don't actually cost that much, nowhere near $25 worth, and that our $75 chins are the least expensive we have.  I mentioned that while I understand chins, supplies, whatnot can be expensive, I don't think $75 is unreasonable for an adoption fee. 

...and really, that's what I believe.  If $75 is too much of a setback, cost-wise, then I honestly don't think someone needs another chinchilla.  Save up a little bit, then get one.  That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment