Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Current Status Update & Ponderings -- part 2

So, where are all the animals?

Well, right now, I have my two dogs (Kailey and Misty -- the rest are at Jim's), a handful of chins, and a hamster here with me.  My guinea pigs, snakes, frogs, and geckos are at my parents' place, and Jim has all the chinchillas, doves, and prairie dogs.  The chinchillas will all be gone by this time next week, and the hamster and dogs will remain here with me until the house sells.

Where did all the animals that were here, go?  They got adopted!  Other than the currently sold chinchillas, we have one chinchilla (Sybil) in foster care in Iowa, dealing with some health issues... but other than her, everyone here has found a home!

We stopped taking in rescue chins mid-March or so, so we do now have an extensive waiting list of people wanting to bring their animals in.  We have advised everyone... we have no idea how long everything will take.  We don't know when exactly we will move, or even, once we get the new place, how long it will be before we can take in animals.  But we can add people to the list.  And we have been.  We've also been referring people to another local rescue that can take in small animals, for those that can't wait.

Though I don't know (no one does) how long this all will take, I can imagine that by the time we are ready to take in animals, many of the people on the waiting list will have fallen off the face of the earth.  And that's ok.  The nice part is, we will be starting fresh... all our cages will be empty, so we will be able to take in a lot of animals at once.

Did you hear that though?  We will be starting fresh.  We pitched all the shelves and many of the accessories and whatnot that were gunk-ified in those cages.  So when we get the new place and get the cages in (which have to be powerwashed and set up), we do have to create completely new set-ups for them.  Again, this is why I say, just because we have the new house, that doesn't necessarily mean we will be taking in animals on day 1.

However, should anyone want to volunteer their time or effort, this will be a great opportunity where we will need help.

... believe me when I say, I would like to get animals in again... soon.

The more the impending exodus of the chinchillas comes closer, the more of a "rush" I feel like I am to hurry up and get this house ready to go, so it can be placed on the market and I can find a new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment