Saturday, July 18, 2020

Doctor Visit

So, this was probably from a week or so now, but it was an interesting moment, so I thought I'd share it with you all.

My family doctor is a doctor I was referred to when I was in the ER for something... they said, hey follow up with this guy, and I did.  At that point, his office was in Hammond, on 174th and Columbia.  I wasn't living in Hammond at the time, but this didn't bother me.

Fast forward a couple years (apparently 2012 I found out), and he and the physician he was working with moved into a Highland office, and added a couple more physicians to the roster.  A few years later, the same group of physicians opened a Munster office (which I have now been to, and is very fancy).

Well, long story short, I needed to go see the doctor to get prescriptions filled and all that jazz, so I was there about a week ago, and this doctor knows I have the chinchillas and supply business and all that... so, as is typical, he asked me how that's all going, with covid and all that. 

So I told him I'm moving, he asked to where...  and he reminded me, that he used to be in that office on Columbia.  We talked about how Hammond has really gone downhill in the last 10 years (and I don't disagree), and he said said that when he originally started out (80's / 90's), he couldn't afford an office in Highland / Munster, so he got the Hammond office.  And originally that was fine, but then he said as time passed, he would get patients referred to him from the hospital and people didn't want to follow up in Hammond... so in 2012, he got the Highland office location (and eventually, a couple years later, the Munster location).  He said that since he's moved, he gets more people following up and more returning patients, than when he was in Hammond, and he said he hopes the same goes for me.  We talked about how it's one thing to live in an area that isn't the greatest, as you can ignore the neighbors and keep to yourself, but having a business in an area like that is more difficult... and he said he hopes things pick up when I move.  I hope so too!

I had actually kind of forgotten about his Hammond office (though I pass it on the way into Munster all the time, it's four blocks south of here), but this was an interesting convo and sort of a success story in relation to moving to a different location, so I thought I would share it with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment