Just wanted to make a quick post about this, as this sort of thing has been going on for years, but now's as good a time as ever to add it to the blog.
Someone will call and ask how far away we are. Or what the price of the chins are. Or if we have any specials. I'll tell them, and they'll schedule an appointment. Not an hour later, they will get back to me and say, they decided not to come.
Now... don't get me wrong, I have a ton of great adopters, and these fall into the minority of people who don't make it here... but I wanted to touch on this really quickly. While I acknowledge that it may be, they went home and talked with their significant other, who may have been the one to say, oh the price is too much, or the drive is too far, or whatever... sometimes I wonder if, right when I say the price, the people aren't like... ok nevermind... but set the appointment anyway.
Maybe people don't want to seem turned off, but it's ok! I had one person comment on a pic of a curly a while back, being really enthusiastic about coming to adopt right away, and they wanted me to call them so we could set up an appointment and all that... I sent them a message informing them that the curly was not a rescue and was $450. Their response... oh, we'll have to make an appointment next week. Needless to say, I never heard from them.
Maybe it's just me. If I was in that situation, and thought the price was ungodly high, I think the most I'd commit to saying would be, "well, I need to think about it." But I sure wouldn't make an appointment, or whatever, if I already knew I wasn't going to get it.
I understand it can be hard to say, ok, it's not what they were expecting, they don't want to get it.. but honestly... I don't bite! You can just tell me, you know, we don't want to drive more than an hour, so we won't be coming by. Ok! No problem! Saves me from writing down -- and then whiting out -- your appointment in my planner.