Saturday, March 31, 2018

Pets for Someone Else

I get a lot and I mean a LOT of people who want to adopt a pet for someone else.

If you're buying it for your best friend, I'll offer that you can buy a gift certificate and give it to your friend, or you can bring them over and you can pay... that sort of thing...

... because the thing is... half these people never know they're getting a pet, and so they get one and don't necessarily want it.  I won't even get into why that's a problem...

But I also get people who want to get pets for a family member.  If mom's getting a pet for her kids, that's one thing.  But auntie or grandma often get pets for grandkids or nieces or whatever... and in those cases, I will respond back and part of that response will include me asking, are the parents on board with this?

I suppose this shouldn't surprise me.... but people get offended!  Not everyone... but I can recall some specific instances where someone brought a pet home, NOT telling me it wasn't for them... and within a few days, said that the person who they bought the pet for... didn't really want it... they needed to return it.  Of course, that's not good for the pet.  So I ask.  I think it's a fair question, and I feel like if a person can't nicely answer that question...

... if the answer is yes... this should be easy.  If you ask if they're on board, and the answer is no, or they haven't talked it over with them, or that sort of thing... I feel like that is when people don't return my emails when I've asked that question... so I ask.  Sorry not sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment