Monday, December 18, 2017

One More Quick Word On Deposits

I know, I know, I've yapped enough about this.  But let me explain one more time, with a good example this time, why deposits are so important, especially when dealing with wishy-washy people.

I had someone message me asking about one of our chins that was under evaluation, pending their pregnancy watch being finished.  They had asked to let them know if it turned out that she was or wasn't pregnant, and if she wasn't, they were wanting to know when she was available and possibly adopt her.  So the time came, and I messaged them and let them know.

They asked about coming a few days in the future, and I told them, they day they'd picked was the day we'd be at the expo.  I told them, I could bring the chin with me to the expo and they could pick it up there if they wanted, but that I'd need a deposit to do so (we hadn't yet started talking about deposits in general).  Their response was that they'd rather pick up the chinchilla at the house, as that's closer to them (perfectly fine).  If you've been following along in these blog posts, you know about how I've said we're not going to hold without a deposit anymore.... I told them, picking up at the house would be fine, but if they wanted to wait almost a week to pick up, I'd need a deposit.

They asked, would they get a refund if they put down a deposit and didn't like her?  I told them, no, and explained, the deposits are non-refundable and are only for people who 100% want to get that specific chinchilla.  I explained, that is because I am holding that specific chinchilla for them and preventing anyone else from adopting it.  I further explained, with the expo a few days in the future, that this chinchilla would be a prime candidate for going to the expo, if she didn't have a deposit on her, just to let them know that if they waited too long, she may not be available.

Their response was basically something along the lines of:  well, why can't you just hold her until after the weekend, knowing that I want her?

Well, wait, back up.  Remember the part where they said they would want a refund if they got here and then didn't like her?  Oh yeah.  So I explained to them, you know, you say you want her, but you also say you may not like her, so you're not 100%, so the deposit's probably not for you then.

And see, this is where it gets murky.  In the past, I'd hang onto her until past the weekend, and have the person come.  If the person adopts, great.  However, if the person doesn't adopt... well, I could have taken her to the expo, and possibly found her a home there.  So...it's a toss up.  Be nice, and possibly loose out on a good home, or have stricter policies, and weed out the people who aren't 100% sure. 

Here's the thing.  There's usually 20-30 available chinchillas here.  We're not talking about 2-3 available ones, where if this one finds a home, I may not have another that fits what people are looking for.  With how many chins are available, that's not the case.  If the one someone likes finds a home... there are others.  Not saying they want those others, but there ARE others.  I hate to prevent one from getting adopted, due to a no-show or due to someone getting here and deciding on another chin, when that one could have been in a loving home already.  There's plenty to choose from.

Oh, and since I'm sure no one noticed, I already went and changed the sales policy.  No reason to wait until 2018 with the amount of people who want the critters held until after Christmas just on their word that they'll show up.  Sorry, not sorry.  I'm trying to find the animals homes, not keep them here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment