Friday, December 15, 2017

Scammers

I see these coming from a mile away, but in case you ever feel like listing something for sale online, let me share with you how these work, so you can spot them.

Say these are my ad titles that I use for hoobly or whatever: 

3.5 Year Old Standard Grey Male Chinchilla -- Ash
2.5 Month Old Dark Ebony Male Chinchilla Kit (Baby)

The first text will go something like this:

Hello, how you doing today, am texting regarding 3.5 Year Old Standard Grey Male Chinchilla -- Ash  OR Hello, how you doing today, am texting regarding 2.5 Month Old Dark Ebony Male Chinchilla Kit (Baby)

They always copy and paste your ad title.  Dead giveaway that it's a scam.  Never ONCE has anyone ever done that when it's a legitimate person interested in an animal, and mind you, I re-home 200-250 per year.  Not once has a legit person copied and pasted like that.

Doesn't matter what you say to them, the next text goes something like this:

Good, I would like to know if it's firm asking price OR  Good, I would like to know what the asking price is

Because you know, they found your ad, but they couldn't be bothered to actually read it, because... oh they're not really interested... they just want to scam you.

Again, no matter what you say (and I know this, because I've started messing with people and saying, "the price is listed on the ad"), they will say something like:

Ok, I am pleased with the asking price.  

... I didn't say what it was, and there was no way that in 2 seconds they found it that quick, unless they were staring at the ad (in which case, why even ask what the price was?).

Then they go on about how they want to mail you a certified check, they're currently out of town, so they need your name, address, phone number, email, etc etc, all your info to send you this check, but they'll pay you some extra for your troubles, yadda yadda.  Someone will come pick up the animal for them, but first, you need to cash this check....

That's about as far as I ever get, because I usually respond with, "we don't take checks" or even, "the animals have to be picked up by the person they're going to live with."  And like magic, I mean... certified check must be the ONLY way to pay for these people, cause that's when they vanish.

Today was an extra good one though....

Them:  Hello how you doing today, am texting regarding the 3.5 Year Old Standard Grey Male Chinchilla you posted for sale
Me:  Ok, you want to come see him?
Them: Good, I would love to know it's firm asking price
Me:  Yes
Them:  Hello how you doing today, am texting regarding the 2.5 Month Old Dark Ebony Male Chinchilla Kit you posted for sale
Me:  You just texted me about a different chinchilla
Them:  Actually my son saw the ad and tell me about it, so I would love to know the actual price myself okay
Me:  They're all on my website, nwichinchillas.com -- pics and info
Them:  Hello how you doing today, am texting regarding the 2 Month Old Silver Mosaic Female Chinchilla Kit you posted for sale
Me:  Any others?

I always respond back, as if I'm talking to an actual interested adopter, because I always think, I don't want to shoo someone away, in case I was wrong.  Never have been, but you know...

...and sometimes people wonder why I'm often aggravated.

No comments:

Post a Comment