Thursday, June 21, 2012

So frustrated.....but sort of good news.

So, went to Lowe's to get the tap and die kit.  Got that, came home, used it on one of the holes, tried to screw the screw in -- nothing.  I was like omfg.  So I get out the heavy duty drill, and even with that, nothing.  So I don't know what made me go to one of my actual FN's, but I decided, I was going to unscrew one of those screws and screw in my new screws.  You can see where this is going, can't you?  Yup, the new screw would NOT screw into the FN. 

Now, I swear when I was at the hardware store, I screwed that rusted-to-hell screw into one of those things that tell you what size it was, and I swear it was a 1/4 screw.  Well, apparently not.  So I dig through my crap, cause I save everything, and I find the original rusted-out-screw that they gave me with the FN's.  I think, ok, I'm going to see if THIS one screws into the re-tapped holes.  And of course, it did.  Not entirely smoothly, but definitely worked. 

So, I apparently bought the wrong screws.  Jamie, if you're reading this, I'm sure you're laughing hysterically.  It is funny but I could shoot myself for all the misery I've caused myself with this.  But, in all fairness, I probably will need that tap and die kit cause the screw-holes are rusted to shit, so it's probably good I have that.  Now, just to get the right screws.  Which will involve yet ANOTHER trip to the hardware store.

Still can't find that missing caster.  How the hell did I lose a caster?  I mean, the FN pieces have only been in 1 or 2 places in the basement, and I remember right where I had them when I was first messing with the casters... checked all around that area... no missing caster.  Like what did it do?  Decide it didn't want to go on the cage and hide?  Ugh.  Here's hoping it shows up cause those things were like $5-6/set. 

But, in good news, it looks like once I have the right screws, the FN's should go together relatively easily, once all the holes are re-tapped. 

But you would not believe how frustrating it is to have to go, yet AGAIN, to the hardware store.  That'll be tomorrow, after the post office, I guess.

For my frustration, I have a nice bleeding gouge in my hand due to trying to force the screw with the heavy duty drill... which of course just stripped the screw and went straight into my hand.  Ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment